The scientific program will focus in the morning on the role of the monocytes and related cells (collectively also often referred to as the Mononuclear Phagocyte System, MPS) in:
- the regulation of morphogenesis, neurogenesis, endocrine function and tissue homeostasis
- The induction of self-tolerance (under “steady state” conditions)
- The induction of the immune response against foreign (under “danger” conditions)
In the afternoon an abnormal (genetically-, intrinsic and/or environmentally-induced) chronic inflammatory state of the MPS will be portrayed as an important causal factor in the pathogenesis of mood disorders, schizophrenia, morbid obesity, type 2 diabetes, arteriosclerosis, organ specific and systemic autoimmunity. These conditions are highly prevalent and increasing in prevalence in western societies and constitute a high burden for both patient and community. It has been recognized that such chronic inflammatory state of the MPS and its products, e.g. the cytokines and chemokines play pivotal roles in the pathogenesis of these pathological conditions. This novel insight will lead in the coming decades to new diagnostic and prognostic tools, individualization of treatment and new anti-inflammatory treatment options for these conditions.
- The prime function of the immune system might not be the combat of foreign intruders “fighting function”: The innate immune system (particularly the monocytes and related cells) is under steady state conditions not inactive (just laying there for surveillance), but is actively involved in homeostasis and growth regulation (similar as the endocrine and neuronal system): a “peace keeping function”.
- An inappropriate “inflammatory” set point of this system (epigenetically imprinted and determined by the microbiome?) leads to deregulations of homeostasis, e.g. in tolerance induction (autoimmunity), vascular repair (atherosclerosis), neuronal function (schizophrenia and bipolar disorder), fat metabolism (morbid obesity and type 2 diabetes)
Programma - Chronic Inflammation
De buitenlandse en Nederlandse sprekers op het Scientific Program en het programma Medisch en Zorg staan in de folder
Download folder MWD Chronische Inflammatie programma, pdf, 1,6 Mb